Greenhouse gas emissions have become a real problem for the planet, but they also threaten people’s health and well-being. Luckily, businesses and people have come to understand why going green is beneficial, resulting in the share of renewable energy doubling in the past years.
Wind and water provide the most renewable energy, while solar is the fastest-growing energy source, giving us plenty of opportunities to switch from traditional energy sourcing. As companies are the most likely to produce gas emissions, so are they implementing green solutions to reverse or slow down the worrying effects on the planet.
If you’re curious about how to do that to your business, keep reading, and you’ll find out!
Monitor your energy consumption
Before making any changes, consider monitoring your energy consumption to know where to start. If it seems like there’s space for saving energy, you should introduce smart devices to analyze your consumption further and assess how much you’ve saved in a month or year.
- Use smart plugs for individual appliances
- Detect vampire loads
- Use energy monitors that connect to a mobile app
- Install programs and timers to manage energy usage
It’s important to control your business’s electricity performance because you can save a significant amount of money, even if you’re investing beforehand. It’s time to take the example of China, the leading country installing renewable energy systems.
Install loft and wall insulation
If you don’t know how to reduce your heating bills anymore, it’s best to invest in loft and wall insulation. Through this project, you will trap the heat below the loft space, and the air will remain warmer for longer. It can also prevent cold air from entering your property.
The insulation should be as thick as possible to provide the best results. Luckily, you can find regulations on how thick the insulation should be according to the material used in your loft, so you won’t have to figure that out yourself. You can insulate the walls in two methods:
- Blow insulation foam into place using a hose and pressured air, and it expands and hardens on impact (for places harder to reach);
- Use bats (rolls) of fiberglass insulation for regular-shaped spaces that are easier to access.
Make sure to hire a professional for these services because even if you can do this project yourself, you might make some mistakes that will cost you more to fix after. For example, the insulation shouldn’t be laid over electrical cables, as it can cause overheating, and your building might be at risk of a fire accident.
Upgrade your boilers
You’re probably using a boiler for generating electricity or heating water. Still, you have to make sure your boiler is upgraded because an old one can consume a lot of energy. At the same time, boilers that are ten years old can become hazardous at any time.
Therefore, you should look for A-rated boilers, as they’re more efficient and almost all the energy is converted to heat, which can help you save hundreds of dollars annually. Another way to check the boiler’s efficiency is to look for the fuel-utilization-efficiency rating (AFUE), which should be at least 80%, providing you with lower operating costs.
Although, if you’re looking for alternatives, boiler rental companies have come up with fast solutions, offering their clients the opportunity to rent temporary boilers. You have a large selection of temporary boilers that can satisfy your needs. You can also have temporary steam boilers that can run on either fuel oil or natural gas, allowing you to adopt the best option for your business.
Switch to eco-friendly appliances
This step strictly depends on your business industry because some of them are challenging to switch to sustainable operating, but for regular offices, there are plenty of alternatives. You can transform almost everything you’re using in your building into an eco-friendly appliance, but you need to invest some money to lower operational costs in the future.
For example, you could acquire a smart thermostat that utilizes algorithms and sensors to save energy. Such a device can detect when a building is in use, learn your preferences and point the way toward an efficient energy behavior.
Then, you can invest in better air filters. Cheaper and older ones can get clogged, while eco-friendly air filters last longer and can be reusable, depending on the HVAC system. At the same time, know that poor air affects your team’s performance, but it can also alter their health and yours.
Looking for green certifications is the best way to check for eco-friendly appliances. Most of them have some sustainable criteria, and some examples include:
- Energy star: the green efficiency of an appliance.
- Green seal: the product’s lifecycle, sourcing of raw materials, disposal of the product.
- Cradle to Cradle (C2C): material re-utilization, renewable energy and carbon management, social fairness.
Install solar panels
Solar panels are the most valuable investments because you’re using an incredible source of power that is less limited and harmful to the planet. Nowadays, most companies turn to solar panels because they greatly improve the company’s expenses, and green businesses are more appreciated than regular ones, as people can identify with their cause and vision.
Why should your business go solar? Because:
- It cuts business costs (reduced bills and immunity from billing spikes and inflation)
- It provides future longevity (as the world will be less dependent on fossil fuel, and coal and gas-fired electrical appliances will be more regulated on emissions and carbon footprints)
- It creates energy independence (resulting in a reliable electric supply regardless of what happens to local power companies)
- It offers tax benefits (all governments support the move towards renewable and social power, offering tax incentives and financial assistance programs for businesses)
- It creates financial and environmental returns (the system can pay for itself in a couple of years, while you benefit from lower electric bills)
Saving money on your business is far from being cheap ―it’s about realizing that you’re losing resources that can be invested in training, products and customer satisfaction. Your business will thrive if you’re able to assess the importance of renewable and qualitative appliances and systems.
Read also about The Benefits of Monitoring Your Company’s Energy Consumption